Friday 1 February 2013

Berry and Apple Crumble

 
My last bake of my “Rodina visiting weekend extravaganza” was a crumble for pudding. This was an opportunity to further try to get the whole pastry thing sorted. The day before I had spotted (and bought) something that hopefully would make the whole process a little easier – a compact food processor.


Method

I used this recipe from a blog called “Jam & Clotted Cream”. However, I used frozen mixed berries that contained raspberries, blackberries and blackcurrants instead of fresh raspberries.


My new food processor worked well with mixing the butter and flour; perhaps a little too well to be honest. When the “crumble” mix came out it was nearly pastry itself and so had a kind of rustic lumpy feel. But once it was mixed with the oats and spread over the fruit it looked pretty good. I made one large crumble and two smaller that I froze to bake at a later date.


Results

The crumble came out of the oven with the filling bubbling. The colour was an amazing red-purple. I liked the topping but next time I think I will add fewer oats. The filling was tart but in a good way, although the berries definitely overpowered the apple. I am interested to see how the frozen ones turn out.


Score: 7/10


Soundtrack: Various songs from the Glee soundtrack (Rodina’s choice)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment