Monday 24 December 2012

Ginger Bread House Kit



Another cheating “bake” as it doesn’t involve an oven or even mixing of ingredients at any stage. I received this ginger bread house kit as a present from my lovely housemates in Newcastle two Christmas’s ago. I thought it was finally time to give it a go and share the results.


Recipe

The kit contained everything you would need to make an awesome gingerbread house:

Panels of gingerbread: 2 x side walls, 1 front, 1 back, 2 x roof panels, 1 chimney

A gingerbread man, snowman and Christmas tree

Ready-made royal icing in a plastic bag

Jelly beans, gummy bears, sprinkles, boiled sweets

I also supplemented with decorations that I found in the kitchen cupboard


Results
The house was pretty straight forward to put up; especially with the tray provided. It had channels to put the icing and the pieces in so they didn’t fall over. After leaving the icing to set for 15 minutes it was then time to decorate. The hole I had cut in the end of the icing bag to do the piping had, by that point, got so large and the icing was so thick, that I used my hands to mould it into the right shape to stick the sweets. The gingerbread man and the chimney never made it onto the house…


Overall I am pretty proud of my little house. It’s not the neatest and in the end it was a cheat. But it is taking pride of place on the dining room table and is adding a bit of Christmas cheer. 


Score: No baking = no score


Soundtrack: It’s a family Christmas (Lots of crooners!)

No comments:

Post a Comment