Tuesday 21 May 2013

Coconut and Lime Cake

A month has gone by and it’s time for Clandestine Cake Club again. The theme was “Here we go baking cakes in May” and I very loosely translated this to mean I should make a cake on an emerald/green theme. Delia provided a flash of inspiration with her lime and coconut cake. This also covered an experiment that Rodina had suggested – using an exotic ingredient. I couldn’t find any coconut milk powder in my local Tesco, and so I ordered it from ebay!

Method
The recipe can be found here. A basic sponge is made with the addition of lime zest, coconut milk powder and desiccated coconut soaked in lime juice. The mixture was put into two round sandwich tins and into the oven (ensuring that the tins are in the middle). The icing was made using lime juice and the lime flesh. I used a very sharp knife to peel and then take out the segments of the limes. I was surprised how easy it was. Then the icing sugar was added and gently stirred in; making sure not to break up the segments. This icing went into the middle and on top of the cake. A final touch was some extra lime zest sprinkled over the top.

Results
The dodgy oven struck again and the colour on the outside of the cake was a little uneven but inside it was fine. The presentation was a bit messy but then Delia’s picture was “rustic” too and I think it added rather than detracted from the overall look. The recipe said to soak the desiccated coconut in the juice for at least an hour. However, as I was in a rush it was more like 15mins. This didn’t harm the flavour, which was excellent, but did make the texture a little harsher than perhaps it should have been. The icing was brilliant. I really like the way the flesh added texture and thickened icing. This cake tasted really good and the flavours worked well together – very summery.

The cake may have been as success but my transport definitely was not. Driving off in my car resulted in a horrible noise and me quickly parking up again. No Cake Club :( but plenty of cake for Lewis and me :)

Score: 8/10

Soundtrack: Various David Guetta tunes

No comments:

Post a Comment