Saturday 11 May 2013

Peach and Plum Clafoutis


I chose a recipe from Lorraine Pascal’s Baking Made Easy book for dessert when my parents came round for Sunday lunch. It seemed like quite an easy dish and used the extra egg yolks from the Amaretti biscuits. Also, I really love the combination of fruit and custardy flavours. Lorraine suggested peaches only in her recipe but I thought the addition of plums would be nice.


Method

First the fruit was halved and stoned and spread over the bottom of the dish.


Then, eggs, egg yolks, caster sugar and vanilla extract were whisked together until it was a frothy consistency. I then added a small amount of flour, double cream and crème fresh. The final touch was a dash of Amaretto.


The whole thing took some time to bake until it was firm.


Results

This dessert worked out well. The baking took a little longer than I expected and near the end I added some foil to the top to make sure it didn’t go too brown. I think if I did it again I would like the fruit to be in slightly smaller pieces; maybe quarters. Although then it might cook too quickly. Lorraine suggested that this dessert goes well with vanilla icecream and I had bought some posh stuff especially. However, it had frozen rock solid in my freezer so we had to make do with the left over cream from the recipe.


Score: 8/10


Soundtrack: Hearing about my parents’ recent holiday to Barcelona

2 comments:

  1. This looks like quite a baking adventure - and I'd never heard of a 'clafoutis' before!
    Could you explain the theory behind adding foil on the top when it was taking too long to cook - I've never heard of this before either and am intruiged by its purpose....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure 100% on this. It's all about spreading the heat around and kind of shielding the top from it...

    ReplyDelete