Monday 29 July 2013

Chocolate Cola Cake

After my slightly experimental Lucozade loaf I thought it would be good to try out the original recipe. Also my colleagues were clamouring for a chocolate cake.

Recipe
I used this same recipe as last time but for this I also made up the icing as well.

Method
For this cake I used a round springform tin. It was still really scary when the mixture was so runny.

For the icing I melted the butter, cola and cocoa powder together in a pan and brought it to the boil. I then whisked that together with the icing sugar and poured it over the cake while it was still in the tin.

Results
Like the Lucozade loaf this recipe produced a very dense and moist cake. The texture is ok but it was a bit uneven. I think in the cooling of the cake more moisture “sinks” down to the bottom half. It was nicer warm. The icing was really yummy; sweet and a little bit crunchy. Because the cake shrunk a bit in the tin the icing got a bit messy on the edges.

You couldn’t really taste the cola in the cake but I don’t think that was a bad thing, it gave the cake some sort of an “edge” to it. I think the cola was more about changing the texture of the cake rather than the flavour.

In all I like the cake; I’d maybe cook it a bit longer or use butter rather than margarine if I made it in the future. I will definitely be using the icing in the future.

Score: 7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment