Monday 5 August 2013

Double Lemon Drizzle Cake with Poppy Seeds



The hot weather this month inspired me to bake a cake that is fresher than you average chocolate concoction and so I went for a lemon drizzle with a difference. I love lemon and poppy seed muffins so thought that I would try out this similarly flavoured cake from Delia. The recipe can be found here. I bought the biggest and poshest lemons I could find. Also, I made this bake at my baking assessor/mentor Rodina’s Liverpool flat.


Method

The recipe is a standard all in one with lemon zest, lemon juice and poppy seeds added in. A lemony syrup made of lemon juice and sugar is poured over the cake when it’s still warm. Finally more sugar and poppy seeds are sprinkled over the top.


Results

The flavour of this cake was VERY lemony. However if I was to make it again I would make quite a few changes. Firstly, although the recipe called for large lemons, I think the ones we got were far too large. This meant that the mixture was very sloppy. Also the flour that we used was from a basics range. I’d never noticed the difference before, but this stuff was really fine which I think also added to the thinness of the batter. This meant that the cake didn’t rise that much, and with the excess syrup it got very crumbly. We didn’t have a loaf tin either so I had to make the cakes in two smaller round tins. Finally I think that there were far too many poppy seeds in/on it.


Score: 5/10


Soundtrack: The build up to the Wimbledon Men’s Final (Go Andy!)


No comments:

Post a Comment