Monday 2 September 2013

Fruit Scones - Take One!

The other weekend I thought it was time to attempt another of the baked goods on my “basics” list. I decided that I would try to make some scones.
Recipe

I went for the simplest recipe I could find. Just flour, butter, milk, sugar, baking powder and dried fruit. It came from a book called “British Food Bible”.

Method
I used my food processor to mix the butter and flour to fine breadcrumbs. It worked really quickly and was far easier than my previous attempts by hand. I added the sugar and fruit then added the milk until I got a stiff ball of dough. I then patted out the dough until it was about 1cm deep and cut out the scones. 

These went onto a baking tray and got a final milk wash before going into a hot oven for 12 minutes.

Results
My scones tasted pretty good however, they did not rise. They came out almost the same height as they went in and I’m not sure why. Maybe I mixed the butter and flour too hard, maybe I worked to dough too much. However, I am not put off – I’m going to try a different recipe from Mary Berry next!

Score: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment