Saturday 28 September 2013

Big Birthday Cake!

This month was Lancaster Clandestine Cake Club’s 1st birthday and like all birthday parties this one needed lots of birthday cakes. The cake I decided to make is the one that my mum has made me for many birthdays. Chocolate and vanilla marble cake, in a ring shape, covered in chocolate with marshmallows in the middle.


Method
This is another standard sponge; one half with some vanilla essence and the other half with cocoa powder. My new tin was huge so after making two lots of 2 egg batter, I had to add another vanilla 2 egg batter on top. I greased the tin well with margarine because I really didn’t want the cake to stick. The batter went into the tin in stripes and was swirled around a bit to get the marble effect. The cake took about 30 mins to cook in the oven and I then left it to cool over night.

The next morning I used dark cooking chocolate (4 whole bars) to totally cover the cake. I then decorated with chocolate curls and pink sprinkles. Finally I filled the hole with twisty marshmallows. The cake just about got in the fridge so it would set in time for the party.

Results
My overall impression of this cake was that it was HUGE. It was just as well that I was taking it to a party!

For the chocolate bit of the cake I had substituted ¼ of the flour for cocoa powder. This gave it a really dark colour and rich flavour but I think it did affect the texture and made the cake crumblier. Although usually you can never have too much chocolate in this case I there was. The chocolate covering was so thick it was hard to cut the cake. But all in all I think it went down well.

Score: 8/10 (but not as good as my Mum’s)



No comments:

Post a Comment