Thursday 10 October 2013

Fruit Scones - Take Two :)


After last month’s scone disaster I was determined to get these right. After all you can’t be a proper home baker without being able to make a batch of scones on demand.

Method
This time I went with a recipe from Mary Berry that I found in a Comic Relief baking book. I rubbed in the butter by hand and the recipe called for it to look like small rubble rather than fine breadcrumbs. Instead of milk it used a milk/yoghurt/egg mixture but no baking powder. I also pressed out the dough to much greater 3 cm thickness.

Results
These turned out much, much better. I kept an eagle eye on the oven temperature and they rose to about twice their height. The dough was much softer too and the whole thing actually felt easier to make. However, I only managed to get 7 scones out of the supposedly 8 scone mix. The scones tasted pretty good and texture wasn’t too heavy. I think that they would have been even better if they were slightly lighter but I will definitely be sticking with this recipe. I would however like to experiment with flavours and additions now I have this simple taste sorted.

Score: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment