Monday 29 April 2013

Birthday Bakes


This month was my Mum’s 60th birthday and a perfect excuse to make and decorate some yummy looking cakes.

I made some large plain sponge cupcakes and decorated them with chocolate fudge frosting and neon sugar crystals. I will admit that I did buy in the frosting, but I did give piping another go. The frosting lent itself better to piping and the disposable piping bag made everything easier. However, as is usual when I bake (especially with chocolate) I got very very messy! The cupcakes then went onto my bargain stand which made them look very special. The finishing touch was a purple fymo cat with a candle on top.

Mum’s favourite cake is celebration fruitcake with marzipan and white icing. I didn’t feel ready to put my Mum’s birthday happiness on the line and bake this. Instead a wild goose chase to get one was followed by me testing out some decorating skills. Here I piped some white writing icing into the outline of a ’60’. I then filled it in using runnier icing and sprinkled the neon sugar crystals on top. It looked pretty good if I don’t say so myself!

Score: No score because it was more decorating than baking

Soundtrack: The TV that was distracting my Mum!

No comments:

Post a Comment