Sunday 21 April 2013

Sticky Orange Marmalade Cake

One of my favourite things about Red Nose Day (and there are many) is getting hold of the year’s baking book. It’s always filled with interesting takes on simple recipes with the aim of producing things for bake sales. This time Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood provided the celeb chef faces and I had a go at one of Mary’s Bakes.

Method

I made this sponge as per the instructions (i.e. not using the all in one), creaming sugar and butter first then adding the eggs, flour and other ingredients. After making the normal sponge mixture some chunky marmalade is added. After baking some more marmalade is heated and brushed over the top of the cake. Once everything is cooled the recipe says to drizzle over runny icing. However, I didn’t get to that part for reasons explained below.

Results

Not so good. This new oven of mine is still a bit of a mystery. Basically, it was far too hot and therefore the cake had all around it a quite thick crust of burnt. Inside was totally fine and really yummy but the outside spolit it all. So I salvaged it best I could by cutting off the burnt bits and didn’t share it with the world.


Score: 3/10 (A cooler oven next time I think…)


Soundtrack: Red Nose Day festivities on the TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment